Highland Central School District - Music Department
Highland Central School District Music DepartmentHighland High SchoolPhone 845-691-1020 Fax 845-691-1038
Mrs. Lynda Keech email@example.com - Concert/Chamber Choirs, Tri-M Music Honor Society, Musical Director
Mr. Dan Shaut firstname.lastname@example.org- Concert and Jazz Bands; Tri-M Music Honor SocietyHighland Middle SchoolPhone 845-691-1080 Fax 845-691-1083
Mr. Vincent Rizzi, Jr. email@example.com - Middle School Band
Highland Elementary School
Phone 845-691-1070 Fax 845-691-1073Mrs. Karen Adamec firstname.lastname@example.org - Elementary School Band
Thank you parents, administrators, staff, and community
members for attending these concerts/events and supporting our Highland Music Program!!!! Please contact us at the listings above with any questions :)
The All-County Festival takes place in March each year. Every school in Ulster County participates. The music department begins preparing our students in November for a challenging January audition at Bailey Middle School in Kingston. If selected, these students will perform an amazing concert under a guest conductor at UCCC. These are very competitive ensembles to be a part of, but completely worth the extra time and effort!
N.Y.S.S.M.A. Solo and Ensemble Festival
NYSSMA stands for “New York State School Music Association”. All over the state students perform solos or in ensembles to be adjudicated by a trained judge. If they perform a Level I-IV solo they can receive a maximum of an “Outstanding” rating with a maximum of 28 points. Levels V-VI are judged out of 100 points or students can choose to receive comments only. The Music Department prepares and registers many of their students in this festival.
N.Y.S.S.M.A. Majors Festival
The NYSSMA Majors Festival is held at different schools every year. Bands and Choirs from all over the state perform at this festival to be critiqued and rating by trained judges. Each group receives a rating of "Gold with Distinction", "Gold", "Silver", and "Bronze" or “Certificate” according to the NYSSMA standards.
Field Trips and other Performances
- The Elementary Select Band and chorus spread their holiday cheer at the Hudson Valley Nursing Home every year in December.
- In March, the fifth grade band students go on a trip to the Bardavon to see the Hudson Valley Philharmonic perform their “Young People’s Concert”.
- You can count on seeing performing groups from each building perform throughout the day at the Craft Fair at Highland High School.
- The Memorial Day Parade includes the MS and HS bands marching and performing in town.
- The MUSICAL: The HHS Harlequins have now put on productions of “Little Shop of Horrors”, "Hello, Dolly!", "Annie", and "Grease: the school version", "Schoolhouse Rock", "Footloose" and "Mary Poppins".